Sunday, November 28, 2010

Snowy Petersburg

привет!

Well, I now understand why the Nazis couldn't handle the Russian winter...It's definitely cold here! This week was the first week of heavy snow fall and colder weather (Right now, it is 4 degrees farenheit, just as an example). Yet, I think the snow and cold makes St. Petersburg even more beautiful. Winter has certainly come to Petersburg!

I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving meal is my absolute favorite meal of the entire year and thus, I wanted my last meal in the States before coming here to be Thanksgiving. It feels almost strange having Thanksgiving in August AND in November but it was done. My program decided that the American students and Russians included should celebrate Thanksgiving even in snowy Russia. Thus, we ordered probably the only 4 turkeys in the city. The fun of the week came when I volunteered to make a pecan pie. Now, at home, I would just go to one store and buy everything that I need, have the convenience of having a reliable oven, and having a pie-shaped pan. But, of course, that was not the case here. My friend Allison and I went to over 7 shops looking for pecans...and now, I'm pretty sure they do not exist in the entire country. Mind you, we went to these 7 stores during a snow storm. What fun. Since pecans don't exist (and most people we asked didn't even know what they were), I figured that hazelnuts and chocolate would be just as good. So, my host mom, host sister, and my housemate and I went to the kitchen with a mission- to make a pie using two different languages. Oh, and did I mention I was making this pie using a cookie sheet? 40 minutes later, we had a pie/cookie/hazelnut/chocolate thing. You do what you can in Russia, I guess. I brought our creation to our Thanksgiving feast on Thursday and although it wasn't like the Thanksgiving I'm used to, I am so thankful that I got to spend the day with my wonderful American friends. It was a fabulous Thanksgiving after all!

This week, I also did something for the first time: I went to the banya. The banya is the Russian public bath house...and I went to it. I had heard such great things about going to the banya and yet, I was still very nervous. You first walk into a room where you undress, then you talk a small shower, and then into a sauna room. I had to talk very small steps at first because it difficult to even breathe. Then you just sit there and basically sweat for 20 minutes, again go out and take a small (and cold) shower, drink as much water as you can, and then repeat the process. Although I was surrounded by old, naked, Russian ladies, I have never felt so relaxed. And now, I can say that I've been to a public bath house...and it was actually enjoyable! :)

Now, I am just trying to enjoy my last few weeks in Petersburg. It's strange how close I am to coming home. See you all soon! :)

Until later,
HD

ps. I can't take any credit for the picture...that was all Dave Wollin. Thus, you get to see beautiful, snowy Petersburg at the expense of Dave being really cold! Thanks Dave :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, am I an old, naked, Russian lady now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no no, of course not!

    I was surrounded by old, naked, Russian ladies...and Meryem :)

    ReplyDelete