Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Into the Woods...

Hello,

Well, the past week have consisted of what you would expect when studying abroad: homework. I had 3 papers due on the same day (and just actually rememberd that I have one due tomorrow...oops) and while that does not seem to be much for Albion standards, its a little overwhelming when all I want to do is explore the city. So, most nights have been spent in my room on my computer...Very lame for being in such an amazing city.

You may be curious about the title about this blog because 1. Who would go to the woods in Russia? and 2. Why would you want to go to those absolutely freezing woods? Well, I asked myself those same questions and...went anyway. Our program had organized a weekend at the University Campground (which just happens to be in the woods) with a group of students from the Political Science department of St. Petersburg State University, the same students we see every day and are just too nervous to talk to (I think that's just me actually). So, anyways, on Friday after school, I boarded a bus to the Russian forrest. To be honest, I really didn't want to go. I figured that the entire weekend would in only Russian, meaning that I would further my frustration with not being able to understand. I have never really tried to talk to the Russian students and I was always under the impression that there was a separation betweeen the Russian students and the American students. "You are in our territory" sort of feeling. Yet, we were thrown together in one place for the entire weekend. Thus, I was somewhat nervous about the whole experience.
We arrived at the camp and were told to pick a room. The room that I just happened to pick didn't have a heater. For those of you who are complaining about the cold in Michigan, stop complaining. You aren't in Russia. Not having a heater is like not having water in your house (oh wait, that happened too). Yet, the wonderful 4 boys who picked the room next to ours decided on their own accord to switch rooms with us. This meant that they were in "our" room most of the time because it was warm. :) The first night, we all gathered in a large room and separated into smaller groups as an introduction activity. Luckily for me, the Russian students were willing and able to speak English. I tried my hardest to speak in Russian but just the knowledge that most could speak English was extremely reassuring.
The next day was filled with another opportunity for us to interact with the Russian students. We even had a Halloween party and a дискотекa (discoteka) or giant dance party. I didn't bring a Halloween costume but it is amazing how easily you can improvise. We even had a pumpkin carving competition! We made a Cheburashka, or the Russian equivalent of Mickey Mouse) pumpkin and although we didn't win the competition, our program director gave us all candy anyway just because she liked it so much.
On Sunday, we had another informal meeting with Russian students and again boarded the bus for St. Petersburg. I was not looking forward to the weekend and yet, I had a lot of fun...and I can now say that I was in the Russian forrest.

This week, like last week, as been full of homework and studying. I had two exams today and I cannot tell you how happy I am to be done with them. I can now relax until we leave for Moscow on Thursday night. And then, after Moscow, I get to see my mom and my sister in Scotland! I'm sooooooo excited. I may not want to come back to Petersburg ;)

I will definitely blog next week about Moscow!

пока! (bye!)
HD

No comments:

Post a Comment