Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Smolny and the Hermitage

Hey!

Well luckily, my frustrations have passed for the most part. The language barrier is still a huge issue but I am learning and understanding more and more each day. I can now navigate through the St. Petersburg metro station with ease and although I believed that getting around would be difficult, it is actually very easy. Every day I travel down (to quote David Nelson) the "STEEP STEEP vomit-inducing escalators in the metro" and have only 2 stops and one change to Smolny Cathedral, where all of my classes are held. Today I was even lucky enough to catch the free bus to Smolny from the metro station because I didn't get lost!

Smolny Cathedral looks and feels like the Russian Hogwarts..although I understand that it is not a castle. The classrooms are really small and we all sit very close to each other but the environment is mysterious and enchanting. I have 4 classes: Russian history, Russian civilization, Ethnic studies, and then Russian language (3 hours a day!) They are great so far...and extremely easy compared to my classes at Albion. They do not give us much homework, allowing us to explore the city in the afternoon. I wish Albion could adopt this too :)

Today we got to go to what is probably my favorite thing in St. Petersburg...the Hermitage! I'm not sure how many pieces of art this museum has but if you spent 1 minute at each painting, it would take you 7 years to see everything. The collection of buildings include the Winter and Summer Palaces of the Tsars, the Hermitage theatre, and the Winter Palace of Peter I. Remember the movie Anastasia? Although that movie is beyond historically inaccurate, I felt like I was living in the movie! It was so fantastic! The beauty of the building was even distracting me from the art collections! We have to visit three more times but I'm sure I will be there more than that. I can't really put into words how absolutely amazing it is. I will try to take pictures next time.

I came home after an amazing afternoon in the Hermitage to the greatest surprise ever...two American boys who are also living in my homestay until December! And of course, they are both very cute. God must be looking out for me ;)

Until next time,
HD

No comments:

Post a Comment